Before we delve into the structure of a term paper, let’s first define it and look into the objectives of this writing assignment. A term paper is a research paper required at the end of a school semester. It tracks and evaluates the students’ knowledge about the course. Usually a scientific report or a discussion of an assigned topic, the term paper requires a lot of research and technical writing expertise. This academic writing assignment as this reflects your knowledge of a certain course.
Table Of Contents
How To Outline a Term Paper
The outline of the paper should be made before researching and writing because this will serve as your skeleton as you continue on your work. There are a lot of paper templates to choose from, but most of the time your instructor will require a certain essay format for the whole class to follow. The main parts should include an introduction, a body, and a conclusion.
Instructors usually provide topics related to your course. However, sometimes you are free to choose your own paper topic, read articles, news, magazines, and blogs to get ideas for a term paper topic. Make sure that the topic you choose will fulfill the objectives of your course and will interest you. If a certain topic interest you, researching and writing about it will be easier and more fun.
The following should be considered when choosing a topic:
- Length: Consider the length of the required paper. Will it be a 10-page long or 5-page short? How many words are required? Considering the length will help you choose a certain topic because you will be able to decide how broad your subject will be.
- Resources: Check out your school or community library for available resources. Go through available online research resources and make sure you will have hands on books and other materials needed for reference.
- Complexity: Make sure that you will be able to explain your topic no matter how complex it may be. If you have questions, don’t be afraid to ask experts. Let your professor explain a certain area in your topic.
How To Start
Before starting, make sure to follow instructions given to you. Clarifications should be made with your instructor before doing any research or writing work. If you want quality work and a high grade, plan ahead and make time every day for writing your paper. Allot time for proofreading your work before handing it to your professor.
A good way to start is by creating a compelling and creative title. Your title page is the first impression of your work so make sure that it will capture your reader’s attention. Take note of the parts as you research and write away.
The structure should be organized and well-researched. Our academic writer reminds that technical writing skills should be crucial in organizing your ideas. The following is the term paper rubric, abstract, or layout that you should follow in presenting your argument or topic:
- Cover page: Align the text containing your name, course number, your teacher’s name and the date of the deadline.
- Abstract: Usually less than a page long, It lets the readers know where the paper is headed, the issue at hand and why the subject was interesting or important enough that you decided to write about it.
- Introduction:The introduction should begin with a statement on the topic to be discussed. Give current social events that are linked or explain the significance of the problem at hand.
- Body: The body of your text should contain the synthesis of your research. Provide information about the topic so that Don’t forget certain positions pertaining to the issue and the analysis of the research you have done.
- Results:. How has your view changed from when you began the project? Has it stayed the same, and why? Tie everything you’ve been explaining into what you started saying in your introduction.
- Discussion: Finish by stating an opening question or by prompting the reader to continue his or her own research on the subject through a discussion.
Download: Term Paper Example
How to Write a Proposal
Before researching and writing, you should know what a term paper proposal is. Basically, you should be able to defend your topic to your instructor through this proposal. This proposal must be handed in and approved before writing the actual term paper.
Include recent studies or research about your topic. Show relevance of your topic to your course effectively by submitting a short article with a clear explanation. Provide your objectives and observe organization in the flow of your ideas.
Related: How To Write a Research Proposal
If your professor didn’t provide a proposal template or sample, you could follow this format:
- Title: This is a draft title of what you want to research on. Make it clear and comprehensible.
- Objectives: This part should define your outcomes after your research. You should be able to answer questions above all, in a term paper.
- Relevance and Importance: Include recent news, social events, articles, and blogs leading to the importance of the topic. Your topic should be up to date and capture the attention of the reader.
There are many examples available online including formats and templates. You can follow these formats but make sure that you maintain your proposal’s organization and don’t forget to highlight main points and objectives.
In arranging the format, consider first the length and the citation style to be used. When you have researched on a certain topic, you are required to use a specific citation style. If you forget to reference properly, you might be accused of plagiarism. Also, a term paper is an academic writing assignment therefore, APA or MLA citation styles are commonly used.
- Use APA (American Psychological Association) term paper format for social sciences. To reference a book in an APA style term paper, the publication name, date, and location are needed. So make sure to take note of this during your research.
- The MLA (Modern Language Association) term paper format are used for liberal arts and humanities. The publication name, date, and location are needed in this format as well.
Good Term Paper Example
Essay Writing Advice From Our Professional Team
Tutor Joseph, from EssayPro
This article is very helpful. However, I would like to add my advice to the topic selection process. When you select a topic, choose one that enhances your understanding of the subject. Usually, I would advise choosing a topic that one finds interesting, but with this kind of paper, demonstrating knowledge as opposed to finding something particularly interesting to write about. To begin, get an idea to act as the foundation of the term paper. The idea should relate to the text and the subject. If this is written for a particular class, note down some of the class discussions that you had while taking the class and consider writing about those. That will get you brownie points with the professor. That being said, avoid general topics. Narrow it down according to the article’s directions. Before finally choosing the topic, clarify it with your professor if possible. Go during office hours and ask if they have any advice for in what direction you can take the term paper.
Get Help from Experts
Researching and writing really take a lot of time and effort. Also, school assignments and examinations usually pile up at the end of the semester. If you need custom writing help, don’t hesitate to use EssayPro. This is your number one go-to site for term paper writing service. Experienced writers from all around the world will attend to your writing needs immediately. These writers can proofread and improve your academic paper. They can also help you choose a topic and edit your referencing into an APA or MLA format. What are you waiting for? Head on over to EssayPro!
Try our essay service
A term paper is an academic assignment, which is supposed to be written during a term and is responsible for at least 20% of the mark the student finally gets. In a term paper the student researches at length some subject (event, notion, point of view), related to the work done within the academic term. Generally, it is several typed pages, organized in conformity with strict format, which is of no less concern for the one who writes it, than the paper’s actual contents. A term paper is rather close in meaning to a research paper, still they aren’t identical.
The title page should represent the paper’s title, your name, the name of your tutor, the course’s title and the date of completion in the centre of the page, each entry on a separate line. It is followed by the table of contents, enumerating all the segments of the paper.
Abstract of the page (also called summary) can be a rather short (less than a page) outline of what the paper is about, what its main issue is, why it deserves attention and what have you found out in its concern.
Introductory paragraph interprets the main issue of the paper in a more elaborate manner, represents the review of opinions on it, popular in modern thought, explains why it is important and what your suggestions are.
Method paragraph section is dedicated to the techniques you used looking for data and processing it, as well as your ideas concerning the relevance of information you’ve collected.
Results paragraph is aimed to reveal and focus on both results and conclusions made throughout the research and explain if they can be regarded as an interpretation to the questions that were mentioned in the introductory part.
To conclude, discussion shows the actual meaning of your results, what conclusions can be made on them and how are they can be recognized in a broader context.
How to make your term paper successful if you haven’t written it before?
Sure, you did our best to provide you with the most understandable guide on term paper writing. It shows you the main points you need to follow and take into account while writing your paper to succeed in it.
However, you will not be the exception if you get stuck halfway in the process of writing. True, such type of assignment as a term paper requires a scrupulous approach, time and confidence that you are doing it right. To complete any term paper successfully, you need some background experience. If you haven’t any yet, then it will be better for you to search for any examples and samples of works to understand how the work should be completed and formatted. You’ll find lots of samples on the web, as well as in our blog on this website. They may be not on your subject and topic, but the main idea will be clear.
You need a plan! Above on this page we have mentioned the main parts that must be included into your term paper. To make them work for you, first you need to look for the sources and information that you can include into your work. You professor must have already given you the instructions where the main criteria are mentioned. They may be about using only the articles from scientific journals and never from the Internet. In any of the cases you must follow the recommendations and gather as many information as possible on your topic to know how many pages each paragraph can include.
Then you can make a checklist for each paragraph. Why do this? This will help you understand whether you have included the main points that should be highlighted in the work.
Why WriteMyPapers.org is the best place to order your term paper?
If you do not feel too confident about writing a term paper by yourself, look for the sources or can’t find them, you can always count on our writers’ help.
We guarantee that you will get your term paperwritten according to your instructions, if you have any. This will include the number of sources, the contents that should be researched in the work, and formatting according to the style needed. Of course, the work will be delivered by the deadline specified by you in the order. To give us more time and pay even less money, just place you order in advance. In any case, our writers at WriteMyPapers.org will do good job for you!